Friday, September 26, 2008

Good Sailing Books

For an idea about what my plans might entail a good book is "Maiden Voyage" by Tania Abei. The book is an autobiography of when Tania sailed around the world by herself when she was only 18 years old. Its very good reading. I don't think my adventures will be quite as harrowing as hers, but many of the places I intend on going are places where Tania went during her circumnavigation.

A book I am currently reading is called "Blue Latitudes" by Tony Horwitz which is an interesting look into Captain James Cook and his voyages of discovery during the late 1700s. Captain Cook is responsible for most of the charts in the South Pacific (some of which were still in use as recently as 1990). The author pointed out something really interesting to me... the original Star Trek series is largely based Cook's adventures. Cook sailed into previously uncharted waters looking for new territories. He went ashore with landing parties comprised of his doctor, a scientist, and some red-jacketed marines. Even the famous line from Star Trek "to boldly go where no man has gone before" is very similiar to a quote in Cook's journal.

No comments: